Thursday, September 23, 2004

Longest day ever

Today was a long day. We started our day at 10 am when we left Vicksburg for Jackson. Hank's neurosurgeon appt was at 11:10 but the dr was behind, and we didn't get seen until after 12:30. We saw Dr. Parent, and he said that Hank's middle and lateral ventricles are definitely dilated (overly filled with fluid), but his frontal ventricle is not. This leads him to believe that there is some sort of blockage between the lateral ventricles and the frontal ventricle, prohibiting a steady flow of spinal fluid to the frontal and out and around the brain. It doesn't seem to be bothering Hank developmentally, and Dr. Parent said that Hank's brain "looks like a happy brain", so he's not too worried right now. He did order an MRI for Oct. 18, and we'll see him again on the 25th for him to go over the results. If the MRI confirms what he thinks is happening, Hank will need surgery to implant a shunt. Mom is not excited about this, nor am I excited about Hank being put to sleep to have the MRI--it just makes me nervous. Anyway, we left UMC at 1:30 to head over to Baptist for H&H's appointment at the developmental clinic. We fed the kids in the car in the parking lot, but Princess Hayden's bottle was too cold, so I had to go into Baptist in search of a microwave to heat it up. I fed her in a waiting room while Hank finished up with Jay in the car. We had a great visit at the clinic. The therapists played with them on the floor, testing various skills. Both kids scored ahead of schedule developmentally. Their corrected age (since their due date) is 4 months, 28 days, and they scored anywhere from 5.2 to 6.8 months in different areas. They were very pleased with them and want to see them back Feb. 24. After we finished up there, we went upstairs to the NICU to visit all of the wonderful ladies who took care of them for so long. It was great to see them all again. We are so thankful for everyone who nursed them during their 94 days in the hospital, but we are even more thankful that they are home and healthy and happy. We finally made it back home at 5 pm, and we were all exhausted. Jay had soccer practice, so the kids and I went promptly to sleep for a couple of hours. What a full day--we can't wait for the weekend! Please keep Hank in your prayers. Pray that the MRI will show that there isn't any blockage. But if it does, pray that we are prepared to accept the news, and that Hank will come through the necessary procedures with flying colors--not that we don't already know that he's such a trooper! Thanks so much for your continued support of our family. We couldn't do it without you! p.s. Hank weighed 15 lbs. & Hayden was 13.4 lbs.

No comments: